Friday, August 5, 2011

Possess by Gretchen McNeil

PossessPossess by Gretchen McNeil
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The first thing that grabbed my attention as I looked for books was the cover. Creepy and dark but at the same time mysterious. Then the synopsis, which sealed the deal for me because it was about demons. After all the Vampire, werewolves and fae stories demons sounded like a good deal to me. I mean, how many books (in the YA genre) do you see where the protagonist can exorcise them but doesn't love one? uh?

Anyhow, Bridget was a very likable character who was very normal and down-to-earth. She didn't let herself be bullied by anyone and had normal friends like any other normal person. Except, that she discovered she had the ability to exorcise demons after her father's murder and it comes in handy now more than ever because the number of possessions are increasing. And of course there's the cute guy, Matt, who has the hots for her. Now, here's what I liked the most: she didn't fall in love with the guy right away. No. All she wanted at first was to be left alone by everyone. Then, as she got to know him better she realized she was falling for him.

The plot was very good. Awesome, actually. You don't see it very often and the ending kind of came out as a shock, which made me love the book even more. I really hope there is a sequel or something because some things were left to reader to guess and I would love to see more of Bridget.

The fact that Bridge was fifteen years old and an exorcist was also very new for me, which made it all the better because there are many hilarious parts. My favorite one was at the shop with the dolls. Mainly because I'm terrified of dolls since I watched Chuky. But was she scared? A little, but she managed to do the job.

Do I recommend it? For sure. Fans of The Exorcist and Demons must read this books. Very Creepy, in a good way.


View all my reviews



1 comment:

Sherry Soule said...

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and opinions about the book.

I think this novel sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to read it now. ;-)

~Sherry

Sherry Soule Official Website

Author of the Spellbound Series