Saturday, April 30, 2011

Beautiful Malice: A Novel


Author: Rebecca James
Released Date: July 1st, 2010
Buy it here.


Synopsis:


So. Were you glad, deep down? Were you glad to be rid of her? Your perfect sister? Were you secretly glad when she was killed? Following a horrific tragedy that leaves her once perfect family devastated, Katherine Patterson moves to a new city, starts at a new school, and looks forward to a new life of quiet anonymity. But when Katherine meets the gregarious and beautiful Alice Parrie her resolution to live a solitary life becomes difficult. Katherine is unable to resist the flattering attention that Alice pays her and is so charmed by Alice’s contagious enthusiasm that the two girls soon become firm friends. Alice’s joie de vivre is transformative; it helps Katherine forget her painful past and slowly, tentatively, Katherine allows herself to start enjoying life again. But being friends with Alice is complicated – and as Katherine gets to know her better she discovers that although Alice can be charming and generous she can also be selfish and egocentric. Sometimes, even, Alice is cruel. And when Katherine starts to wonder if Alice is really the kind of person she wants as a friend, she discovers something else about Alice – she doesn’t like being cast off.


My Review: 


Beautiful Malice wasn't at all what I expected... it was much more! It was published in July, 2010 and I didn't hear about it or anything and after I finished reading it I realized that it was well known. The reason why I didn't hear about until I came across it while looking for other books, was because I don't usually read what I call 'normal YA' books. I mostly read Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy and all that other good stuff. I regreat not having found this book before. It was just amazing
The author managed to shift the book between three period of time: the Before (Which reveals what happened to Katherine's sister), the life-changing experience time (As she meets and deals with Alice), and present (her life as of now). It wasn't the least confusing, on the contrary, it was very intriguing. 
This psychological thriller had so many twists and turns, unexpected and amazing ones actually, that I found myself unable to put the book down. I just had to know what crazy thing Alice had done this time and what exactly happened to Katherine's sister, or how Katherine was coping with the loss of her baby's dad's death.
Since the beginning I knew that whatever the outcome of everything was, it would be shocking and sad. 
Katherine and Alice are, to say the least, completely opposites. Alice is wild and has the idea that you are supposed to live your life to the fullest no matter what. She doesn't want anyone tying her down to anything, therefore she refuses to have anything serious with Robby, who is head over heels in love with her and keeps coming back to her no matter how many times she hurts him. But, like Katherine, she has a dark secret that drives her to hurt everyone, specially Katherine. 
Everything is explained by Alice herself at the end of the novel, just before what I consider the 'horrible part' that makes Katherine hate Alice even more happens. The solution, in my opinion, was obvious: move somewhere else with Mick (Whom I loved BTW) and as far away from Alice as possible, but then Katherine would have never known the truth and all that. Still, the end was so good that I hated it. 
Totally recommend it.  


Book's trailer:






My rating: 4.5 


Author's Website
Blog


Ginga>




No comments: